Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tons of Fun in Ohio (Sep 6)

Late start out of the hotel today. I never leave hotels early. Headed over to the Post Office and shipped home my rear panniers and some other stuff I didn't need. Cut the load by 8-10 pounds and probably lost a little wind drag. After that the day went down hill in a hurry. No kicks on Rt6 today. I saw on the weather channel that the winds over the next few days would be 15-25mph out of the NE and I guess they meant it. As soon as I got back on the road the winds were strong and steady almost right in my face, and it stayed that way all day. Plus Rt6 suddenly turned real popular with the big trucks, both ways. With a very narrow shoulder that got a little tricky. I took 6 to Fremont and then Rt20 east to Bellevue. 20 looks to be a little better as far as the shoulder and traffic go. I may be on Rt 20 for a good part of tomorrow as well.

About 6:30 this evening I noticed two teenage girls ahead in the road. As I approached I could see one was taking a picture on her phone of a dead squirrel. Just as I was about to pass they jumped up and ran, knocking me off my bike as I tried to avoid them. I came down hard on my left hip, but the bike survived ok except for a broken mirror. The girl taking the picture just about freaked out and it took me a minute to calm her down. Too bad, she could have taken a good shot of me and the dead squirrel splashed all over the road. There's a good lesson there: stay away from teenage girls taking pictures of dead squirrels in the middle of the road. The day wasn't a total loss though, I did get another dozen donuts in.

More fun tomorrow. Besides the wind it's supposed to rain. On days like this I avoid looking at my bike computer, the ugly numbers are depressing. I was surprised to do as well as I did, but it took a lot of hours to do it.

Miles today: 78
Total miles: 2698
Google miles direct to Salem: 644

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment