Saturday, September 3, 2011

Urban Riding in Illinois (Sep 3)

Mostly good riding conditions today. Worked south of Rockford fairly easily and then used some pretty direct roads south, east and then south again to Joliet, IL. When I reached St Charles I was only about 35 miles west of Chicago and I knew I had gone a little too far. It was basically urban driving from there all the way to Joliet (about 60 miles). I got caught in a thunder storm at around 4 and so I was going to book a hotel, but I couldn't find one for the next 4 1/2 hours of riding. I was going to keep going but it was too wet and dark. I finally came upon a Walmart and pitched my tent in a field out in back of the store. It started raining again shortly after I got in the tent. Guess I'll find out if it's waterproof. I'll basically be heading east from here on out. Don't know what routes yet.

I got tired of buying $2 ice cream cones so I bought a quart and a half of ice cream at a grocery store this afternoon. I inhaled the thing in about 15 minutes while looking over some online maps and then took off on the bike again without any problems. When I'm riding like this I can eat as much of anything as I want to and it doesn't seem to fill me. I guess I should have gone back for a quart of Dr Pepper and a dozen donuts. Maybe tomorrow.

I just heard a train go by a short distance away. What luck!

Miles today: 130
Trip miles: 2402

Joe

Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. You and the ice cream. :) I guess I need to ride cross country to be able to eat whatever I want.

    Anne showed me the comment you tried to post. Glad to hear you'll be home ahead of schedule!

    I figured out why any comments you try to post aren't posting. You've been replying to the email that notifies you of a comment that was posted to you blog. But to post a comment in return you actually have to go to your blog and post a comment under the "Post a Comment" section. That should do the trick in case you feel like commenting back to anyone for the future.

    Keep it up Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Joe!
    You're the MAN! I am so proud and impressed. Just please take no unreasonable chances: have a SAFE BLAST! And good luck with the weather.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete