Thursday, September 8, 2011

Turn Out the Lights-The Party's Over: Cleveland, Ohio (Sep 8)

After looking at the weather channel flooding reports for Pennsylvania in my hotel room this morning, I decided there wasn't any way I could safely or sensibly get around or through Pennsylvania, or New York for that matter, and make it to Connecticut on a bike. For one of the few times in my life I decided to take the cautious and smart approach and end the trip. So I headed for the closest Post Office, stripped the bike of everything I wanted to keep and shipped all of that stuff back home. I then jumped back on the bike and headed for the airport in Cleveland, about 25 to 30 miles away. My luck changed right after that and a couple of very, very good things happened.

As I was riding back along Rt 303 to Cleveland, I passed by the Hinckley Coffee & Donut shop and of course I decided to stop in for some donuts and coffee. A good move on my part. When I walked in Brandy, the owner, and Randy were tending the counter. While eating my donuts and drinking some of Brandy's terrific pumpkin coffee, I asked Randy about bus service to Cleveland. In the course of giving me directions to the bus station he suddenly offered to give me a ride himself. I was stunned he would do something like that for me, and in the situation I was in I couldn't turn down such a generous offer. The only thing I could offer in return was my bike, which I did. Randy accepted the bike, which I hope he can either use, trade or give to a friend, and off we went to the airport (after I stocked up on some more coffee and donuts for the road). I've got some pictures of Randy with the bike in front of the coffee shop that I'll post as soon as my electronic stuff arrives home from the Post Office. Thanks again Randy and Brandy for all of the kindness, coffee and donuts. You're both great people I won't forget.

My next stroke of luck happened at the airport. The best the Frontier airline ticket agent could find on any airline was a flight tomorrow for $500+, but I was able to book one on my magic iPad leaving at 8:30pm today for $230. Then, on top of that when I went to check in the US Airways agent was able to get me on a flight leaving almost immediately that arrives in Hartford at 6:30pm. (I'm posting this from a layover stop in Charlotte.) All in all a pretty lucky day, even though it was disappointing not to be able to finish the trip.

So that's it: the best I could do was 2792 miles, 87 ice cream cones, 143 donuts and 52 Dr. Peppers on a bike from Snohomish, Washington to Hudson, Ohio. If you're expecting me to say that I'll go back and finish this trip sometime in the future: sorry, I won't. At this point for me it's now "been there, done that." I'll post the pictures of Randy and the bike, and a few lessons learned (for anyone thinking of a bike tour) next week when my stuff arrives home.

Over and Out

Joe

Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear your trip was cut short. I know you could have finished if it wasn't for Mother Nature. I guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow at the farm. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a bummer you weren't able to close the deal...from ~2,700 mile west, you seem so very close to the finish. Of course, I say that from the comfy confines of a temperature-controlled office. And I know you've been subsisting on ice cream and donuts, but I hope you've been eating lots of fruit varieties of each to ward off scurvy.

    ReplyDelete